Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Response to Rebecca's Tug of War

That quote from Gearhart reminds me of one from Cixous--that a female language be one that comes from the body more than logic. Others have argued that the structure of language with its rules of syntax and grammar are inherently masculine and, therefore, unable to express a truly female point of view. It is hard to know what to make of that. Maybe an expressive sigh is about all. (I couldn't figure out how to post this in the comments section--it refused to give me a word to copy. I trying not to see this as a technological bias against female language.)

2 comments:

  1. Even as a life-long "feminazi," I find myself frustrated at the continuous call for a specific female language. Language is a construct. As soon as we know for sure what we are trying to build, it will be much easier to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane picketed the evil corporation.

    Predicates generally dominate our sentences. Subjects have no other recourse but to unionize!

    Jane, Sally, Jenny, Mary, and Sue picketed the evil corporation.

    Subject/predicate equality now!

    ReplyDelete